Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Detroit vs. Everybody

     Being from the Michigan area and having a lot of family that lives throughout the area as well as some who live in Detroit, it is unreal when I go to visit family members.  For instance, the same things he was told when he mentioned he was going to visit where some of the same things I have been told when I go to visit family there such as, "Be careful".  Like Rembert I too try to see the good in Detroit, even thought there is a lot of negativity than can quickly take from that good.

For example, when I picture Detroit I don't necessarily look at all the bad and want to think of run buildings or the non-stop violence that is going on, but instead I like to view it is a vacation to visit my loved ones.

      Rembert tries to show his audience that it more to the city of Detroit than just bad, however its not necessarily an easy task to show the good in the city.  But, yet somehow, he manages to sill keep a positive mindset when visiting the city.  He shows pictures and mentions the places that are nice to an extent and if these same places where in another city would be more widely used or more widely recognized, however since they are in Detroit its a whole other story.

As Rembert does, I to believe that people view Detroit as almost a third world country rather than an actual big time city due to the circumstances which has set the city back from the rest.  For example when you think of big cities in America, you may hear names like Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, or even Louisville....But Detroit...Detroit will typically be at the butt-end of the conversation.  Not a place many want to visit because they may feel it is an unsafe trip to make.  But at the end of the day I see the good as does Rembert; he wants to continue to visit to help and increase positivity throughout the city as I already do see the positivity in the city which is home to some of my kinfolk, and home is what you make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment