Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Bodies of the Year

Do bodies matter more or less in 2014 than they did 10 years ago?

         "My Bodies of the Year" written by Wesley Morris, was a very confusing read for me, personally.  I didn't understand exactly where is was trying to go with this argument.  Besides the overall theme of peoples bodies becoming less attractive...I'm clueless. 
         
           However, I feel that bodies matter more now than ever, especially compared to what they did ten years ago.  For instance, the face books, instagrams, and even camera phones did not exist ten years ago.  I feel that in this time and day, appearance is everything because most people in todays generation live for likes on their pictures or "selfies".  For instance, Morris mentions a photo of Kim Kardashian that she posted on instagram with the caption "no filter", by her putting the phrase, no filter, she is basically stating to her followers that she is all natural and she needs no help to look beautiful. 
In today's time people are more concerned with how another person views them rather than how they view themselves.  Thus, I feel that's why so many more female artists are doing the whole nude thing because sex sells and if they don't feel they are the most beautiful with clothes on, why not pull that card out and flaunt what you have underneath, because once again "sex sales".

           I think another point that Morris could be making is that people don't necessarily pay as much attention to the movie plot itself as to who is actually playing the character.  I remember at times when you watched the movie for the movie itself, not to see how an actor changes his or her appearance to play their role.

Lastly, true beauty is when you see your own self as beautiful, and don't necessarily have to rely on revealing clothing or none at all to attract the attention of others, but by simply being comfortable with yourself, such as Katy Perry sort of suggests in this article....

No comments:

Post a Comment